Facebook (Meta) has been expanding its services from social networking to FB Watch, Gaming to Reels. However, another significant addition to its overall business model came in 2016 with the launch of Facebook Marketplace. It allows individuals and e-commerce businesses to sell and buy in a convenient and easy-to-use marketplace.
In this article, we will look at the guidelines, features and benefits of Facebook Marketplace, and why it has become the most popular choice for online shopping.
What is Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is an online shopping marketplace where you can buy and sell items within your local community. It’s like eBay and Gumtree but with a more social touch. Users can easily communicate with the buyer or seller through Facebook Messenger and check out their Facebook profile.
It’s a convenient way to find what you need without having to go through the hassle of shipping or long-distance transactions. Facebook Marketplace is a great platform for buying and selling items within your community.
The History of Facebook Marketplace
In February 2015, Facebook sold $450 million items through buying and selling groups. Facebook capitalized this opportunity and launched Facebook Marketplace in 2016 as a platform for individuals to buy and sell items within their local community.
Since then, it has become one of the largest online marketplaces in the world. According to the company reports, Facebook Marketplace has more than 800 million monthly users (techcrunch).
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace?
You can sell any item, vehicle or sale and rent out you property (except restricted items.
- Step 1. Click on The top right of Facebook.
- Step 2. Click on Marketplace.
- Step 3. Click. Sell at the top.
- Step 4. Create/Choose listing types (Items, Vehicles, House for Sale or Rent)
- Step 5. Select a category, price, add title and description.
- Steps 6. Add photos or video from phone gallery and computer, or take a new photo or make a new video.
- Step 7. Publish to publish your Marketplace listing.
How To Renew Your Listing On Marketplace?
You can renew your listing after 7 days if your product hasn’t sold yet and has been sold. Your listing will be “bumped” back to the top of the results thanks to this for nothing! Your listing will fall further down the list as more vendors list or renew products.
Go to the Marketplace, select “Your Account,” and then “Your Listings” to accomplish this.
Search for your listing and select “Renew.” Or ‘Delete. You can choose to renew your listing in the drop-down menu that appears.
How to Buy on Facebook Marketplace?
After accessing the FB Marketplace, you will see list of categories like Classified, Vehicles, Electronics, Toys and Games. You can explore these products’ categories based on your interest or use the Marketplace search bar to find a specific item. After spotting your desired product, you can start a conversation with the seller and negotiate through messaging.
Items Cannot Be Sold on Facebook Marketplace
Facebook Marketplace has a set of rules and guidelines that determine what items can and cannot be sold on this platform. The following items are not allowed to be sold on Facebook Marketplace:
- Illegal or prescription drugs, including marijuana and marijuana-based products.
- Adult products or services, such as sexual enhancement products, sexual services, and explicit content.
- Weapons, ammunition, explosives, and related accessories.
- Animals, including pets and livestock, with some exceptions for animal rehoming and adoption.
- Tobacco products and related items, such as cigarettes, e-cigarettes, and vaping products.
- Alcohol and related items, such as wine and beer.
- Healthcare items, including medical devices, supplements, and over-the-counter medications.
- Unsafe items, such as recalled items, items that pose a health or safety hazard, or items that violate product safety standards.
- Misleading, fraudulent, or deceptive items, such as counterfeit or fake items, or items that violate intellectual property rights.
It’s important to notice that these guidelines may vary depending on your location’s laws and regulations. Facebook Marketplace also reserves the right to remove any listing that violates its policies or community standards.
Marketplace for E-commerce
Facebook introduced a new feature in the United States market specifically tailored for eCommerce merchants collaborating with partners to list their inventory on Marketplace. Those merchants who have a listing partner can request to have their inventory added to Marketplace for increased visibility and sales opportunities.
Facebook Marketplace FAQs
While Facebook Marketplace is a safe platform to use, still it’s mandatory to take precautions measurers when buying or selling your items. Always meet the other party in a public place, and don’t share personal information such as your home address or phone number.
No, Facebook Marketplace has strict rules regarding what can and cannot be sold on this social platform. Items such as illegal drugs, alcohol and adult products are not allowed to be sold on Facebook Marketplace.
No, Facebook Marketplace is free to use, and there are no fees or commissions charged on transactions.
If you have any transactional problems, you can report it to Facebook to investigate the issue. However, Facebook Marketplace doesn’t offer any buyer or seller protection, so it’s essential to take precautions when buying or selling items.
Facebook Marketplace and eBay have different strengths and weaknesses. Facebook has a social Marketplace, which is better for buying and selling items within a local community, while eBay is better for buying and selling items nationally and internationally. Furthermore, unlike eBay, Facebook Marketplace does not provide payment or delivery options.
If you violated the FB Marketplace Community Standards and Guidelines, Your access to the Marketplace may have been restricted or removed. Please go to fb.com/marketplace and tap request review. You will get a response as soon as possible.