Advertising your business “effectively” is the most challenging thing nowadays. It is mainly due to fearsome competition and changing advertising/marketing trends. Advertisers and marketers usually find it hard to optimize any advertising/marketing channel and get the best out of it.
However, there is still an advertising channel that is not only effective but it is worth investing in. Yes, we are talking about newspaper advertising. In this article, we are going to discuss newspaper advertising and its benefits, effectiveness, examples, and other important elements and how it can help you in finding the best possible way to advertise your business.
What Is Newspaper Advertising?
Newspaper advertising simply means advertising your business through ads on publications/newspapers in print or digital form. Newspaper advertising has been one of the oldest and widespread forms of advertising different brands, products, and services.
Newspaper advertising still has a lot of potential for business to advertise their brands. People, even in this era of digitalization, still love to read newspapers. Stack Zolnikov reported (January 15, 2020) that 34 percent of consumers still trust print advertisements.
Newspaper advertising might look like a simple process, but it is not that simple by any means. As an entrepreneur, you need to know about types of newspaper ads and how you can use them according to your needs.
There is also a narrative that newspaper advertising is becoming obsolete. Is that true? Let’s find out.
Is Newspaper Advertising Still Effective In 2021?
While many think that newspaper advertising has no future, here is something you should know if you have the same thoughts.
Newspaper Industry Is Evolving Rapidly
The Newspaper Association of America (NAA) has stated that the newspaper industry is making significant changes in its business models. For instance, the industry is looking forward to connecting with digitalization/information technology, understanding the interest of advertisers, analyzing the customer behavior, etc., to expand its revenue stream and grow a huge reader-base.
Millennials Prefer Print Channels For Saving Purposes
Millennials are generally famous for their interest and expertise in digital devices such as smartphones, laptops, etc. But, when it comes to finding deals, coupons, and promotions, they prefer print advertisement channels such as magazines and newspapers because it helps them save money.
Communities In Small Towns Still Prefer Local Newspapers
According to a study, almost 67 percent of small-town communities still read their local newspapers at least once a week. Moreover, 78 percent of those study participants said that newspaper is their main source of getting information related to local events, etc. Similarly, 71 percent of participants stated that their buying decisions are influenced by newspaper ads.
Affluent Audiences Prefer Newspapers
While social media platforms have changed the dynamics of marketing or advertising, affluent audiences still prefer newspapers as their primary source of information. In fact, wealthy consumers prefer newspapers as compared to social media channels by a huge margin.
Newspaper Advertising Costs
Just like the other forms of advertising or marketing, newspaper advertising costs also vary and depend on different factors. Here are some of those factors:
- Ad Placement. If you are going to place your ad at or near the front page of the newspaper, it will definitely cost you more. Similarly, ad placement at the back will be economical.
- Ad Size. Generally, the ads on newspapers are sold by the column inch. That means, if your ad is taking more space, you will have to pay a higher amount and vice versa.
- Types of Ads. Costs for ad types are also different; for instance, a box ad on the editorial page may cost more than a service directory classified ad.
- Frequency Of Running Ads. If you are running an ad in a daily newspaper, you will have to pay more as compared to weekly newspapers. However, when you buy a bigger package, you have a higher chance of getting better discounts.
Types Of Newspaper Advertising
Generally, there are 4 broader types of news advertising.
Inserts are probably the best alternatives for direct mails because the latter option is not cost-effective. An insert is a full-page detachable ad in a newspaper. That means the reader can detach the complete page out of the newspaper.
They are probably the most common type of newspaper ads. Display ads are printed in the form of boxes or chunks on the newspapers and may cover the 1/8th to a full page of a newspaper. Display ads are often based on everyday products such as home goods, electronics, cosmetics, etc.
Classified ads are mostly specified listings and make things easier for people to find their relevant ads. Generally, classified ads are charged on a “per-word” basis. Common examples include announcements, pets for sale, local activities, employment wanted, etc.
Companies attach their coupons with newspapers to advertise their products or services. Coupons attached to newspapers have been effective in generating sales. Moreover, it is easier to assess the effectiveness of these campaigns because customers can only gain the advantage of these offers by redeeming the coupons.
Advantages of Newspaper Advertising
Newspaper advertising brings a lot to the table. Here are some worth mentioning advantages of newspaper advertising.
- Broader and Extended Reach. When we talk about digital ads, an average user spends almost 8 seconds on one ad. Honestly, that is a very short time to impress your target audience. However, newspaper advertising gives businesses a better chance to reach their target audience. People spend more time on newspapers because most of the newspaper readers consider newspaper reading as a leisure activity. Most importantly, approximately 70 percent of the adults in the USA read the newspaper every month, and that is a massive audience.
- Affordable. Newspaper advertising is a very flexible option in terms of affordability. You can run an expensive ad as well as a cost-effective ad depending on your budget. In fact, if you are paying for the “per thousand readers” option, then newspaper advertising is relatively cheaper than many other forms of advertising.
- Focused Targeting. Newspaper advertising allows businesses to target their audience in a better way. For instance, if you want to target a specific area or city, you can get your ad posted in a local newspaper. You can even advertise for a specific community. Similarly, you can switch to national newspapers for targeting a large-scale audience.
- Highly Engaging. Newspapers are famous for their credibility, and readers have more interest in getting reliable information from newspapers. This automatically increases user engagement, thus giving your ad a better chance of getting noticed.
- Trust Factor. Yes, social media and other digital ads may have been the latest trend, but 34 percent of the consumers still trust print ads, and this percentage is higher than search engine ads.
- Action-Oriented. Newspaper ads prompt many consumers to take action. For instance, 30 percent of users, after reading an ad in the newspaper, went online to do further research.
- Early adopters. Early adopters are very important for any new business to get going. These early adopters generally have a high purchasing power, and as per the research, almost 75 percent of adults with an income of $100,000 or greater read newspapers every week. That means it is easier to target a “wealthy audience.”
Disadvantages Of Newspaper Advertising
- Low-Quality Images. Newspaper printing companies generally use medium or low-quality paper. That means the quality of your ad images can be compromised easily. We can’t ignore the fact that high-quality images (such as in magazines) always get more attention.
- Competition With Digital Channels. Print advertising (such as newspaper advertising) is facing severe competition in the form of digital advertising channels. It is no surprise that print advertising viewership has fallen significantly.
- Newspaper Advertising Can Be Expensive. If you want to make it to the front pages of the newspaper, you have to pay a handsome amount. Ads placed on ending or back pages may be ignored by your target audience.
- Shorter Lifespan. How many times do you read an “old” newspaper? Well, nobody reads a “3-day old” newspaper, and that means your newspaper ad has a short lifespan unless you can advertise regularly.
Tips For Effective Newspaper Advertising
Newspaper advertising is not a piece of cake at all. It needs comprehensive planning and effective implementation. Here are some tips to boost your newspaper advertising campaigns.
Do The Newspaper Selection Carefully
Newspaper selection is important for a better reach. For instance, if you are a new business and looking to target a local audience, then advertising in a national or state-level newspaper is not needed. Moreover, new local businesses can attach coupons with a local newspaper to promote their brand locally. To make it short, you need a newspaper that helps you reach your target audience easily and cheaply.
Catchy Ad Design
No doubt, people are more conscious about the content you provide in your ads. However, catchy slogans, attractive imagery, and attention-grabbing headlines are equally important for newspaper advertising. You need to be concise and comprehensive enough at the same time. Honestly, nobody likes ads with poor visuals.
Competitor Research Is Important
Your newspaper advertising strategy must include thorough research on your competitor. It is not wise to target the exact same audience which your competitor is already targeting because it can easily distract people’s attention. Therefore, follow your competitors closely and devise your newspaper advertising strategy accordingly.