What Is Brand Image?
Brand image is the perception of customers about a particular brand. Image of any brand tends to develop over time. Brand image is formed in the minds of customers based upon the experience and interaction of the customers with the brand, interactions can take place in different ways and not necessarily only the buying or using of the product and service.
The major concept behind the brand image is that the customer is not only buying the product or service but also the image which is associated with that product or service. Companies should make every effort to make the brand image unique, positive and instant. Additionally, the brand image can also be strengthened through making use of brand communication like packaging, advertising, publicizing through word of mouth and other promotional tools.
Importance of Brand Image for Business Success
Every organization invests all their efforts to build a strong brand image as it is very helpful in fulfilling the motives and objectives of a business. A strong image of your brand can deliver the following benefits to your organization:
- It becomes easier to introduce new products within a brand name.
- Additional profits in the form of new customers are attracted towards the product or service.
- It tends to develop a better business-customer relationship.
- It helps in increasing the trust level of existing customers and is helpful in customer retention.
Brand image is a deciding factor which determines the sales of a product and it is very important because it is the aggregation of views and beliefs related to a certain brand. The value and character of that particular brand are portrayed through its image and is eventually that mirror in which the key values of the organization is reflected.
Examples of Brand Image
Amongst several, one of the main purposes of any brand is to create an image that will take the organization and its offerings forward and in order to achieve this, huge budgets are allocated and many creative ideas are scrutinized. Some examples of the strong brands' image include:
- Colgate: Colgate is that brand name which is popular in nearly every household worldwide. The brand has managed to create its image which defines belief and trust. Consumers of Colgate are convinced that the brand will deliver satisfactory results. Colgate has created an image in the mind of its customers that using it will be better for looking after their teeth and is a good way to maintain their dental and oral health. As a result, consumers mostly go for Colgate as the brand is synonymously been associated with trust.
- Tiffany & Co.: Tiffany & Co. has a brand image in the minds of the customers to be a top quality and expensive brand through its products, events, ads, stores, and others. High quality and luxurious brand image of the company has grown organically from such consistent experiences.
- McDonald's: The brand image of McDonald's is quick and inexpensive food, the food, stores, service; commercials and other such elements consistently reflect the image of the brand. Additionally, it creates an image in the minds of customers as affordable food with which customers are quite comfortable. They know what will be getting once they come to McDonald's.
Examples of Bad Brand Image
A bad brand image can result negatively for the company and can also impact its profit levels. The bad image of your brand can be of various reasons like brand name, packaging, the way of communicating with customers, etc. Example of the bad brand image includes:
Ugly Drinks Inc aims at providing a healthy alternative to all sugary soft drinks that are currently used by consumers. The name of the brand created a negative image in the minds of customers as the previous look of the company focused over an ugly angle with a complete clunky typeface. It was later on suggested that healthy does not have to be boring and the overall design was improved and fueled according to the requirements of creating a good brand image.