Every marketing plan comprises a set of goals and objectives for the team to measure the success and performance of the campaign. Those objectives vary from improving KPI (key performance indicators) to amplifying customer engagement. One thing they all have in common is the growth of businesses, increasing revenue, and brand awareness. Today, we’ll study the marketing goals with 9 examples, and why they’re important.
Table of Contents
Why Goals are Important in Marketing?
Marketing goals are significant because they offer the company’s marketing department vision, purpose, and direction. When your implement measurable goals, then your marketing team can check the effectiveness of your efforts or campaign, and the impact team had on engagement, performance, and sales.
The marketing team would be aware of its objectives by having a clear plan, what steps they should take to achieve their goals, and how they can measure their performance. Resultantly, when the team meets its goals and objectives, it would amplify the growth and revenue of the company.
9 Important Marketing Goals
The marketing goals of different industries, products, services, and departments are different. Some of the main marketing goals are as follows;
Building Brand Awareness
The primary objective of every marketing professional is to increase brand awareness. Whenever customers need a particular type of product, then they should think of your company’s offers. However, brand awareness allows you to establish familiarity among customers in terms of product quality, image, and name.
If your customers have a positive experience with your brand, they would associate your brand in a good way. They become the repetitive customers of your brand, and they would support your company’s mission by sharing your marketing content. Customers could easily trust and have confidence in the company if it is a well-reputed brand with a credible manufacturer.
If you want to amplify your brand awareness, then you should develop a personality and tone of your brand, and connect with your target customers on such platforms where they spend time. Some of the suggestions to increase brand awareness are as follows;
- Referral programs
- Hosting contests
- Participating in an event of your target audience
- Sharing material about your offers in terms of templates, e-books, guides, and videos
- Posting content about the culture and values of the company on social media
- Launching polls to connect with your target customers
- Writing a blog article about your company or industry
In order to measure the performance of brand awareness and to check whether your company is achieving its goals or not, you should study the traffic of your website, customer engagement, and social media traffic.
Acquiring New Customers
The focus of every marketer and business is to increase the total number of new visitors. They can do so by launching promotional campaigns on various social media and channels to target new customers. Approaching new customers would help the company to increase its market influence.
Gain Social Media Followers
Social media is the best place to connect with your target audience and educate them about your product/service or brand to increase sales. You can amplify the growth and following of your social media platform by following;
- Sharing contests, trivia, and polls
- Keywords to optimize your account
- Creating and posting quality and interesting content
- Connecting with well-reputed individuals and companies
- Engaging with followers on social media regularly
You can measure the growth of social media followers by tracking the engagement rates and increment in followers relevant to other platforms. You should implement the successful strategies of other platforms that are helping to increase their followers.
Increase Website Traffic
Digital marketing and SEO tools help you to increase the traffic to your website. In order to increase the traffic to your website or blog, you should optimize your content. You can do so in the following ways;
- Finding and fixing URL and website issues
- Building Links
- Optimization of your website
- Developing effective metadata
- Creating new and relevant content regularly
You can measure the traffic on your website by checking out the ranking of keywords in the searches and tracking the increment of web traffic.
Increase Customer Value
Customer value is when your target customer market considers your product/service worth buying relevant to the offers of competitors. It would only happen if your company offers something valuable and they would become the repetitive customers of your brand. You can increase the customers in the following ways;
- Discounts on the new products
- Education material and newsletter
- Customer service
- The competitive price range of products/services
- Offering high quality
You can measure the customer value by referrals, frequency of purchases, metrics, and monitoring customer habits. You should recognize the content that customers like and it would help you to increase the sale.
Improve Conversion Rate
Conversion rate is when the visitors of your website become converted into actual buyers after purchasing something from your website. Some of the tips to increase the conversion rate are as follows;
- Guaranteed satisfaction and offering money back
- Making your website easy to use and clean
- Adding “help” and “live chat” options on your platform
- A strong CTA (call to action) statement
- Reviews and testimonies of people
- Creating targeted content
You can measure the conversion rate by dividing the converted people by the total number of visitors to the website. You should continuously check whether the percentage of conversion rate is increasing or not.
Generate Qualified Leads
High-quality leads are the potential customers of the company that may likely become the actual customers. After recognizing the potential leads, you should get their contact information, so that your marketing department would send them promotional offers and product details. Some of the tips to generate leads are as follows;
- Targeted content
- Events and Webinars
- Incentives, Free Samples, Coupons, and Promotions
- Social Media Engagement
- Newsletter Emails
- Popup chats and Webforms
Measuring lead generation helps you to check the results of your marketing efforts and know what type of leads have become your actual customers. You should use revenue as a KPI to track sales and marketing campaigns.
Establishing Thought Leadership
A thought leader is a type of person in the company that people trust and acknowledge as an authoritative figure in its field. If people consider your brand as a thought leader in the market and industry, then they would consult with for the expert opinion, and it would amplify your company’s sales. However, some of the tips for developing the thought leadership are as follows;
- Make your content visible on the platform that your target audience visits through guest posting
- Developing partnerships with other thought leaders through panel discussions and webinars
- Creating quality content that would help you to connect with your audience
You can measure the performance of thought leadership strategy through CTAs, traffic on the guest blog, and tracking the webinar.
Grow an Email List
The growth of email lists may seem like a conventional type of marketing goal, but it is equally effective in today’s business environment. Emailing allows you to connect with customers formally and inform them about your latest offers. Therefore, you should ask customers for their email addresses when they visit your store online or offline.
Tip When you Setting marketing Goals
If your team has the motivation to reach the marketing goals, then you should develop a clear plan that focuses on how to measure their success, how to achieve their goals, why they’re important, and what you should achieve. Some of the tips that you should keep in mind while setting marketing goals are as follows;
- Measure marketing results and track progress on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually basis, compare data and make adjustments accordingly
- Set KPIs in order to know what metrics to evaluate
- Make short/long terms and small/large goals to improve the motivation level of your team, so that they’re always in the process of achieving goals
- Employing historical data (performance of previous goals) to set new objectives
- Setting measurable goals, so that you know your efforts are succeeding or not
- Make sure that the company’s marketing goals are matching up with the strategic goals
- Decide the team member that is responsible for tracking progress and setting goals
You should clearly discuss the marketing goals of your company in terms of numbers, metrics, and time span.
How to Connect Your Marketing Goals to Business Goals
A company may have established broader business goals without discussing them with the marketing team. It is significant that you should understand these goals. If they aren’t clear, then you should discuss it with the business executive, CEO, and CMOs of the company.
However, if your goals aren’t clear, then you should do some extra work in order to make them clear to every team member. Employees should know what you’re trying to achieve so that you should know that you’re investing your resources in the right place.
For instance, the business goal of the company is to increase customers and revenue. The sales and marketing team would help the company to generate more leads to reach business goals.